Every application requires an update from time to time for smooth functioning. The same is required to run the QuickBooks application without any technical issues. But, there are situations when users get QuickBooks error 1328 while installing, uninstalling, updating or repairing QuickBooks Desktop. The error code pops up on the screen accompanied by a message, “ Error updating file C:\Config.Msi\PTXXX.tmp.” The error message clearly demonstrates that there is some issue with the update file. Other triggers of the error are corrupt installation of QuickBooks and damaged installation directory. Let us walk you through the blog for causes and troubleshooting solutions to resolve error 1328 in QuickBooks.
Sometimes resolving technical issues like QuickBooks error 1328 gets a bit difficult. We have enclosed this article with the most effective solutions that will help you fix the issue. If you get stuck at any step, get direct assistance from certified QuickBooks experts by calling us on our toll-free number 1.855.738.2784
What causes QuickBooks Desktop error 1328?
Apart from the faulty installation of QuickBooks, the following are the reasons that trigger error 1328 in QuickBooks:
- The QuickBooks update file you downloaded is corrupted.
- Poor internet connection affects installing and uninstalling process of QuickBooks.
- QuickBooks details such as license number and product year entered while installing QuickBooks are incorrect.
QuickBooks setup file is not downloaded completely.
- The Windows operating system you are using does not support the latest QuickBooks version and update.
Now that you are aware of the factors originating QuickBooks installation error 1328, head to the next section of the article and implement the solutions to fix the error forever.
Recommended to read: QuickBooks Error 6177
Advanced Troubleshooting Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Desktop error 1328
Below, we have discussed all the possible solutions that will help you troubleshoot error 1328 in QuickBooks:
Solution 1. Do a clean install of QuickBooks to fix error 1328
Follow the steps given below to clean install QuickBooks Desktop manually without running the tool:
- Before you start the clean installation process, generate a backup copy of your QuickBooks data and keep note of the QuickBooks license number, product year and version.
- Visit Intuit’s website to download a new installer file.
- Now, uninstall or remove the QuickBooks Desktop application:
- Click the Windows Start icon, open Control Panel and choose Programs and Features.
- Go through the list of programs, pick your QuickBooks version and click the Uninstall/Change button.
- Select Remove, then Next to uninstall the application.
- Now, use the new installer file you downloaded to reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop application.
Solution 2. Use the Install Diagnostic Tool from the QuickBooks Tool Hub to get rid of install issues
The Install Diagnostic Tool will repair the damaged QuickBooks installation files and will help resolve install errors. You need to download the latest QuickBooks Tool Hub version to make the best use of the tool:
- First, close all open company files before you quit the QuickBooks Desktop application and download the setup file of the latest QuickBooks Tool Hub version from Intuit’s official website.
- When prompted to save the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file, save it somewhere you can easily access, like your Windows desktop and the Downloads folder.
- Go to the location you saved the file, open it and follow the steps you see on the screen to install the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Next, complete installing QuickBooks Tool Hub by clicking the agree to the terms and conditions checkbox.
- Move to your Windows desktop, look for the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon and click the icon to open the tool hub.
- Once the tool hub opens, choose the Installation Issues tab and click QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Wait for around 20 minutes for the Install Diagnostic Tool to complete. After that, restart your workstation and open QuickBooks once again to review if the issue is fixed.
Solution 3. Repair QuickBooks Desktop manually to fix error 1328
- Exit QuickBooks, go to the Start menu and open Control Panel.
- Go to the Add/Remove Program section, click Uninstall a Program and look for QuickBooks in the list.
- Select QuickBooks, click the Repair button and implement the on-screen instructions to complete the repair process.
Solution 4. Change the name of the QuickBooks folder to fix error 1328
- Open File Explorer and look for the QuickBooks folder on your C: drive. If you can’t see the folder, reset settings to display hidden Windows files and folders.
- Now, locate the folder containing the QuickBooks installation folder and right-click it.
- Select the Rename option and give a new name to the folder by adding .old at the end.
- After renaming, try to install the QuickBooks Desktop application again.
Solution 5. Give new name to hidden system file
- Tap the key with the Windows icon on your keyboard and open My Computer.
- From there, click Local Disk ( C:) and select Organize. Clear the Hide Protected Operating System Files checkbox and click Apply.
- At the top, click the search bar and type Config.msi file.
- Select the Rename option and add the word .old after the extension.
- Once you rename the file, restart Windows and open QuickBooks again.
Solution 6. Get new updates for your Windows
- Tap the Windows key on your keyboard, type Windows update in the Search Programs and Files search box and click Windows update from the list.
- Click Check for updates and wait till the update downloads.
- Once the Windows update downloads completely, click the Install Update button.
- Finish the installation, restart your workstation, and try to install the QuickBooks update.
We are optimistic that you will be able to resolve QuickBooks error 1328 after following the above troubleshooting process. The solutions mentioned above are proven to rectify the problem permanently. If you have any queries or need expert’s guidance, feel free to get connected with the QuickBooks technical support team by calling us on our toll-free number 1.855.738.2784.
Related Search Terms: Desktop Update Error 1328, Fix QuickBooks Desktop Installation Error 1328, How to Fix QuickBooks POS Error 1328, Point of Sale Error 1328, QuickBooks Clean Install Tool to Fix Error 1328, QuickBooks Installation Error 1328, Remove Error Code 1328, Resolve Error 1328 in QuickBooks, system error 1072807676
You may also read this blog –