During Pandemic, while people where confined into their homes, they missed interacting with friends and family. Video Calling came as a survivor for the people. As a result, Video calls app market saw a surge. Today, it is expected to be growing at a CAGR of 11.3%. If media reports to be believed then the global video conferencing marketing size will be of 14.58 billion USD. With integration, of latest technology like IoT, AI, and machine learning the market is expected to grow further.
The virtual offices and meetings are the new buzz of the corporate houses. Which makes it the perfect time to invest in a video calling apps. If you are also looking to develop your video-calls app, you are at the right place. Here you will learn how to build a video calling app and what features you should include. But let us talk about the industries mainly disrupted by video calling first.
What Industries Use Video Conferencing?
Before taking your first step towards building your video calls app, let’s understand who your target audience is. So, here are the top industries that are using video calling apps.
- Healthcare & Wellness
- Banking and financial services
- Global Business
- Public sector
- Human resources
- Information technology
- Media and entertainment
- Consultancy and professional services
What are the Types of Video Conferencing?
Besides other things, it is also essential to know about the types of video conferencing –
- 1 to 1 calls – It is the most common way people like to video chat. These video calls connect family and friends, possible employees and employers, clients and their service providers, and teammates.
- Conference calls – They bring together thousands of participants at once.
Video callings can also be classified depending on the number of participants:
- Team meetings or internal meetings – People working on or within the same company are connected through them. Such video calls are essential to ensure everyone’s on the same page.
- Vendor or external meetings – These are used to build functional client relationships.
8 Must-Have Features For A Video Calls App
- 1 to 1 video calls – Individual video calls between 2 people.
- Group video calls – Video meetings can include more than two people. Excellent choice for a friend, family, or work meeting.
- Instant messaging – Chats and Text messages can be sent anytime. Video calling apps can be used as regular messaging apps no.
- Voice calls – In case of users can’t or don’t want to video chat, and they can still make and create group voice calls.
- File-sharing – Share media files like images, video, audio, etc. Files can be sent anytime by the user. It may be after, before, or during video calls.
- Push notifications – Immediate notifications for new messages, incoming videos, or voice calls.
- Security and safety – The app is cloud-based and end-to-end encrypted to protect personal data.
- HD quality of connection – Works with any type of Internet connection: 2G, 3G, 4G, Wi-Fi.
Why You Should Have Your Own Video Calling App?
A video calling app can bring together colleagues, friends, and family. Let’s see how these video calling apps can help businesses and people in daily life.
How Video Call Apps can help businesses:
- It drives team-building. Make off-work virtual corporate parties to increase employees’ motivation and spirit.
- It helps to track the productivity of employees. Report daily tasks’ status, brainstorm, and discuss important questions and issues in meetings.
- It improves relations between employees and employers. In-person communication provides a better standard of association and faith.
- It prevents a lack of communication. Instant communication and notifications will inform you about essential questions and problems.
Ways through which Video Calls Apps can provide help to people in daily life:
- It strengthens relationships between people.
- It provides a simple file-sharing tool.
- All family and friends come together in groups.
- It helps to find new friends.
- It keeps in touch with family, friends, and colleagues.
- It allows the creation of communities in groups.
How to Create a Video Calling App?
Let’s know about the significant development steps that help in making a successful video calling app –
Select the Team for Video Calls App
To develop any app, you’ll need a software development team. If you are targeting long-term cooperation, an internal development team should be better for you. With a team of your own, you will get face-to-face communication and can fully manage the video calling app development process.
But for all this, you must hire an office, pay for hardware/software, and waste time on recruiting. In-house developers usually charge too much compared to outsourcing teams.
On the other hand, you can also hire an outsourcing development team.
First of all, it is attractive in cost flexibility. The average rate is $50/hour. You can find developers in no time. But you may face some communication issues as well.
UI/UX Design for Video Calls App
Your design should be minimalistic and intuitive if you target a broad audience. A UI with particular features may suit a specific audience. If your video call app is for all ages and technical expertise, ensure that it will be appropriate for every user.
For a video chat app creation, server logic is its foundation. You can build the backend in several ways. It can be either made from scratch or by using various software as service solutions. If you build an app from scratch, it will offer you more flexibility, while SaaS solutions will save you time as well.
Video Streaming Protocol Integration
WebRTC (Real-Time Communication) protocol allows transmitting a live video/audio via the app. WebRTC provides unique features like peering, streaming, audio, and video codec’s to allow user communication. Some data is exchanged by the server between the clients that are willing to communicate with each other.
Besides that, WebRTC is a secure protocol for creating a video call app. Even software companies are developing healthcare HIPA-compliant manageable compliant apps using this protocol.
Check and ensure that every line of your code works as it should. Bugs can cause audio-video desync, non-working of some features, or even leakage of personal data. This is the reason why quality assurance is that much important.
The issues will be fixed by the developers after they get feedback from the users. Yet, the fewer the number of bugs in the initial version of the app, the better the user experience.
What is the Cost of Developing a Video Calls App?
It is not economical to make a video chat app. And depending on the vendor’s location, the price could be different. For example, hiring a developer from Eastern Europe is considered economical and will cost you $30/hour without any compromise in the quality. On the other hand, an American specialist’s hourly rate is very high, amounting to $80.
From an always-growing requirement for reliable ways of communication, the increasing acceptance of video calling apps isn’t going to slow down. As a consequence, more and more companies are focusing their efforts on developing video calling apps.
Now the advantages of video calls are crystal clear, and if you look at the trends, you will quickly understand that they will keep running for a longer time. To create your video chat app, you need a clear idea and a team to implement it. You must know how to please the eyes of the customers with functional products.