The QuickBooks software often gets disrupted due to various errors and glitches. A common server communication issue in QuickBooks comes up in the form of an error message stating cannot communicate with the company file due to firewall. Users of QuickBooks are unable to access their company files due to this problem.
When QuickBooks is set up to function in multi-user mode, the company file is frequently saved on the server computer, commonly referred to as the host computer, which users must access from their workstations. The server, which resembles a massive workstation with high configuration, houses the company’s important data. There are other issues that can prevent QuickBooks from connecting to the company file stored on a server at a remote location, in addition to firewalls, which can cause difficulties while communicating. Read the complete article for comprehensive and step-by-step troubleshooting strategies to resolve this error.
A brief into the error that prevents QuickBooks from communicating with the company file
The “cannot communicate with the company file due to firewall” error shows on the screen when QuickBooks cannot connect to or communicate with the company file. The error notice indicates that the user’s computer’s program is configured to permit shared access to the company file, but for some reason, QuickBooks software is unable to communicate with the company file.
There are assorted ways of fixing this error, all of which shall be covered in this blog.
Plausible factors that instigate Cannot Communicate with The Company file due to firewall error
Let’s go through the potential causes for firewall errors that prevent communication with company files:
- Incorrect Firewall installation or configuration on the network.
- A lost server connection with wrong setup parameters.
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager-related issues.
- Damaged or missing company file.
- QuickBooks uses a damaged ND file to access a company file on the internet.
- QuickBooks may display the error message “Cannot interact with Company File” if DNS settings are incorrect.
‘’QuickBooks being unable to communicate with company file’’: Viable Solutions
The first viable solution in the ambit of the troubleshooting instructions is that you update QuickBooks Desktop to the most recent Version.
Solution 1: QuickBooks needs to be updated to latest Version
New features and bug fixes are included with each QuickBooks software update, rapidly resolving many issues. To download the update, follow the instructions below.
- Begin with launching QuickBooks in the Administrator mode.
- For this purpose, you are required to opt for the “Run as Administrator” option after right-clicking the QuickBooks icon.
- You are required to tap the “Ctrl” key on the keyboard while launching QuickBooks. The No Company Open screen comes when you hit the Ctrl key to open QuickBooks.
- Now, in order to update QuickBooks Desktop, you are supposed to choose “Update QuickBooks” from the “Help” menu.
- After that, tap on the Options tab, hit on save, and also Mark All.
- Afterward, you are supposed to hit on the “Reset Update” checkbox on the “Update Now” tab.
- Start the update process by opting for the “Get Updates” option.
- If the issue still exists after the software has been updated, implement the next solution
Solution 2: Alter Permissions related to Company File Folder
The ability to transfer files across the network should be granted to the company file folder.
To configure the folder permissions correctly, adhere to the directions below:
- Locate the company file’s folder and perform a right-click on it.
- Next, opt for “Security” under “Properties.”
- Choose “QBDataServiceUserXX” by clicking “Edit.”
- Then, opt for “Full Control.”
- To save the changes, pick “Allow” and then tap on “Apply.”
- Finally, hit on “OK.”
- Attempt to open the company file now. If the error still occurs, use the next troubleshooting method.
Solution 3: QuickBooks Tool Hub can fix the issue
Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub from the official Intuit website, then launch the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool. It will correct typical company file issues in the QuickBooks Desktop and run a mini-repair on your firewall and server. Do not open the company file in QuickBooks again until the troubleshooting is finished. If QuickBooks is still unable to access the company file on the server, move on to the next solution.
Solution 4: Examine the Firewall Settings
Intuit does not govern anti-virus and firewall software. QuickBooks must be manually excluded from Firewall settings. Your firewall can be preventing QuickBooks from establishing a connection to the servers. Include QuickBooks in the list of Firewall security exclusions to determine if the issue has been resolved. If the issue with QuickBooks Cannot Communicate with the Company File is still present, move on to the next option.
Solution 5: QuickBooks Database Server Manager should run On Server PC
On a server computer, which is different from other devices known as workstations, is where your QuickBooks company file is kept.
- Verify QuickBooks Tool Hub is set up on the server computer, then hit on “Network Issues.”
- Choose QuickBooks Database Server Manager once more.
- Afterward, opt for “Start Scan” in the QuickBooks Database Server Manager to search for any files or folders that may be visible. Otherwise, move to the destination containing the company file.
- Once the Scan is complete, wait for QBDBMgrN to automatically fix the firewall permission problems.
- Having performed all the instructions, see if the communication issues with the Company File have been resolved.
Solution 6: Only Host PC must have Multi-User Access Enabled
The Host Multi-User Access setting on the workstations needs to be disabled. Only the system that hosts your QuickBooks company file is capable of hosting it.
- Start off by launching QuickBooks on your computer.
- Instead of opening company files, choose the “File” menu and then hit on the “Utilities” option.
- If the option to “stop hosting multi-user access” is available, choose it.
- If the Host Multi-User Access option is present, proceed to the following workstation and repeat the procedure.
You may also read : Purchase Instagram Offers
Hopefully, this article’s contents should help you get rid of cannot communicate with the company file due to firewall error. However, if the issue persists, you should connect with our QuickBooks technical support team via our helpline i.e., 1-800-761-1787.